International Condom Day History
International Condom Day seeks to promote the use of condoms as a means of preventing unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections (STI’s). It is an informal observance celebrated in conjunction with Valentine’s Day. The holiday is also promoted by the AHF (AIDS Healthcare Foundation) in an effort to reduce the spread of HIV thru safe sex practices.
International Condom Day Facts & Quotes
- According to the CDC, 1 in 20 Americans will get infected with hepatitis B (HBV) some time during their lives. Hepatitis B is 100 times more infectious than HIV.
- There are more than 19.7 million new Sexually Transmitted Infections in the U.S. each year. (Source: CDC)
- By twelfth grade, 65% of high school students will have engaged in sexual intercourse, and one in five sexually active teens will have had four or more sexual partners.
- The use of Condoms make for the only proven method for reducing the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STI’s) during sex.
- 5 billion condoms are used every year, worldwide.
International Condom Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Keep condoms on hand so there is no excuse to use them if the situation arises.
- Say the Danish word for condom 10 times fast. Svangerskabsforebyggendemiddel
- Talk to your kids about safe sex and answer any questions they may have.
- Make a donation to the American Sexual Health Association (ASHA)